Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Brrr

I'm not tooting my own horn because I got out... There are those out there who are much tougher than I am. I saw some bike tracks here and there and found myself thinking it would be really miserable on a bike. But, last night out for a run around the block, I didn't see another soul. It was cold. 2 degrees according to my new customized Google homepage weather. By the time I got home and showered, it was -1.

I was okay in my black wool tights, a wool undershirt, and a layer of old Terramar EC2 long-underwear top. I have no idea what that stuff is made out of, but gosh, it's really thin and really warm. I rode off-road the other day with it too and was too warm. So, if I looked at myself, it must have looked like I would freeze my rear off.

Most of the way, I did just fine. It probably really isn't physically most of the way, it's mentally most of the way. I turned the corner and the wind was back in my face. I had to pick up the pace to keep warm. By the time that I got home, I was cold.

So what? Well, I did it. I get the idea sometimes of doing things that I really should do something good for myself, but it's easy to talk myself out of not doing it. I had a desire to have a bowl of Starbucks Java Chip ice cream that was in the freezer. It would have been easy to sit on the couch, watch a movie, and have my bowl of ice cream. For doing the thing that was harder, not as initially satisfying, I feel more satisfied today.

No comments:

Blog Archive