Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Solo Ride

I finally mustered the opportunity and motivation to get out for a ride on Sunday.  Over the period of Christmas Eve and the weekend, we accumulated some snow and rain that then froze into a bumpy mess.

I've found myself being almost paranoid about being hit by a car while riding.  Winter in the Twin Cities leaves little extra room for bikes on many roads.  Snow piles up along curbs pushing cars further out into the street.  

My winter rides seldom extend beyond 3 or 4 hours.  I tend to stick to circular routes around the metro area which almost always provide the opportunity to shortcut back home in the event I need.  Depending upon temperature and comfort, I've sometimes found myself so miserable, I need to head home to warm up.

It's surprising how well groomed many of the pathways in the Twin Cities are.  The combination of little confidence to take the lane and decreased use, I've taken to recreational riding many of the metro pathways.

On Sunday, I was pleasantly impressed with the fact that many of the paths I rode were in much better condition than the roads.  It was the first time in years that I can recall having been on a little less than 3 hour ride without having seen a single other rider.  It was a calming and refreshing solo ride.

1 comment:

Ari said...

Happy New Year to you and I hope you are feeling better.
Ari
sycamore, IL.

Blog Archive