Thursday, March 22, 2007

Two Days in a Row

So many thoughts for this morning on my way to work. This is the first time that I have ridden two days in a long time. I'm remarkably pleased in my energy level and how the ride went this morning.

This is the time of the year that's just really hard on my head. Yesterday I woke up and it was 45 and misting outside. That made for really nice weather for a commute. I was excited and even though the mist turned to light rain, it was a great ride in to work. It warmed up a bit yesterday and the ride home was more of the same, just slightly warmer.

This morning, I checked the weather in the bedroom on my customized Google homepage and it said 39. Okay, I thought, just a tich colder than yesterday, I can handle this. Grabbed things and headed downstairs to go out the door. Thought, to myself "hey, maybe I should check the computer downstairs on KSTP and see what the temperature is and grab my booties to keep my toes warm." Sure enough, KSTP said it was 34. Grabbed booties and threw on my REI vest just before heading out the door at the last minute.

Glad that I dressed as warm as I did. Seemed like a cold 34. Took until I got to Roselawn and Cleveland to finally get settled temperature-wise. I stopped for a second to switch to just a regular full-finger cycling glove and my Smartwool beenie instead of my cozy warm REI Wind-blocker.

So, it's hard to know how to dress. Perhaps some people do it better than I do, maybe they are willing to spend more on the "proper" clothing. I make do with what I've got, wind up wearing the same thing a couple of days. Fortunately wool doesn't hold a smell, or I don't care. (Pick one.) Day in, day out, a guy could really use some additional clothing though. It certainly makes the whole ride more enjoyable when not over-heating or shivering.

No comments:

Blog Archive