Friday, May 04, 2007

Mechanic Owned

This morning I did my version of maintenance to a bike that otherwise sees VERY little. It seems the little ride this past weekend took its toll on my bike chain. Though I may have heard some criticism over what my chain looks like, if anyone saw how this bike gets ridden and taken care of they would totally understand.

The chain on this bike had what I call "chain stalactites" little chunks of greasy junk hanging from it. Dirt held together by oil. Well, I simply add more oil, TriFlow to be exact, to the mix. I know it's probably not good maintenance, but it seems to get the job done. Though stretched a bit from this past weekend, it no longer sounds dry.

My theory is better to keep the dirt where it is than try to clean it and push the dirt back to where it wasn't. If I wipe down the chain, it sounds TERRIBLE for a while until all the sand and grit that got pushed around either gets pulverized back into sludge or gets worked to the outside of the chain as new stalactites. So, this has been my "strategy" since December. I figure at some point, I will simply carefully remove it and toss it. It's only a matter of time until the teeth on the chainring are almost gone. I'm going to see just how far I can push things until they need fixing. This is why I fear the words "mechanic owned" in any description of an item for sale. To me, that means: neglected until the last moment, then fixed. Goes with the whole cobbler's shoes theory.

The other day I took flack from the security guards that management doesn't want bikes in the building any more. Okay, I can deal with that. At least they had moved the bike rack (though small and not securely mounted to anything) to near the front door. Perhaps there might be enough traffic to discourage theft? This morning I arrived to find no bike rack? Is this some body's idea of a bad joke? Angry, I just stormed into the building with bike in tow. I asked where the bike rack is now. All the security guards seemed puzzled and didn't know either.

A 20 story office building, 5 stories of parking ramp in a multi-building office complex and no lousy bike rack? Let's hear some cheers for MetroPoint Office Complex. I sent them a link to the following video in my email expressing my disgust this morning.

2 comments:

amidnightrider said...

The more I read other blogs, the luckier I know I am. I have secure bike parking, shower, locker and coffee maker.

So are you putting your bike inside still?

Reflector Collector said...

I started at what is now my current employer almost 10 years ago. When I started, things were much more rosy than they are. Facilities have declined, encouragement has dropped...etc. Yet, I commute more now than ever.

Yes, today I did drag my bike in as did a couple of my co-workers. The facilities person for our company is going to bat for us, but the building management is being difficult.

Blog Archive