Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What's Next on the Horizon?

I find myself wondering as I am riding; "what's next on the horizon?"

As much as I like to think that I am not much of a goal setter, I do like to operate with some type of general plan of what to do next. I don't obsess over the details until I get there, but I do like to have at least an inkling of where to go next. Yesterday and today when I rode to work, I took very different routes. Neither day was planned, I just went a general direction and took streets that I don't normally go. Just to explore, to look around, to enjoy the route. I obviously got to where I needed to get to, but I never really knew exactly how I was going to get here until I was making the turn and putting together the route on the fly.

I thought about that, as I have been thinking a lot, as far as job and career goes too. I'd like to know what to be learning now that will help me tomorrow? I'll have to sort out all of my thoughts on this as I have spent A LONG time trying to figure it out, but I think that I came to the realization that I am not a leader. I'm full of ideas, but I think that I really need someone prodding me in a direction.

This post is really confusing me... I started out thinking about June on the calendar and what type of cycling event to look forward to. I have a couple of things on the calendar for July: the Duluth Trip, and RAGBRAI. August has the 24 Hours of Afton, not sure about September, but then I found a 200-Miler for October. So, in some ways, I like to have something to look forward to and to keep motivated for. I wouldn't mind having some epic ride on the calendar for June.

I've had the thought before and it comes to mind again today; I really wish that I had more of a mentor in life. Someone to push, prod, suggest ideas... someone to out-think me with the crystal ball and see where I am supposed to go in life.

I've been going back and forth in my mind with my level of complacency with work. There are days when I talk myself into the idea of just plodding along taking things as they come and not worrying about what happens tomorrow. The problem with that theory is that unless I am working toward something that will be used tomorrow, the reality of what will happen to me is that I will eventually be shown the door.

So, generally, I have some goals to set in order or ease of achievement:
  • Cycling event to look forward to for June?
  • Plans for making my community more bicycle hospitable. (Solve that whole bike to school thing.)
  • Work, job, career, education mess.
You're right... I think I will look over the calendar and just find something for June.

No comments:

Blog Archive