Saturday, June 09, 2007

Just What I Needed

After what has been a crazy week, I got out yesterday morning for a recreational ride. I'd have to think long and hard to come up with the last time that I just went for a ride. No distance in mind, no destination. It wasn't a particularly long ride (only 40 miles) but it was satisfying.

Coming home up the Wabasha bridge through downtown there was more commotion than normal for a Saturday afternoon in downtown Saint Paul. I noticed a number of great living Americans walking the sidewalks, and a noticed a few wheel chairs. I'd passed through the Veteran's Home earlier in the day and had notice more than one small group outside for what was a beautiful morning.

I rode up Wabasha to where it comes to the "T" intersection with what becomes the capital grounds. There is a war memorial that I have probably seen a hundred times. For some reason, it caught my attention. I read the words:

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God"

Right there, carved in a big chunk of granite. I read the words and broke down crying right there in the street on my bike.

Obviously, there was something in the air... it turned out that I was passing right through the capital grounds before the whole dedication of the new WWII memorial. I was obviously touched.

No comments:

Blog Archive