Thursday, September 27, 2007

Comparisons in Contrast

On Wednesday morning, I somehow either slept through my alarm clock, unconsciously got up and turned it off, or never turned it on the night before. Any way it managed to happen, I slept in until 7am, 2 hours later than normal. This would have historically been one of those times when in a panic thoughts that driving would optimistically save me 15 minutes... Those thoughts might have prompted me to drive.

The reality is though, that leaving at 7:30am by car would have meant getting to work at 8:30. Leaving by bike, I would get there at 9. So, I relaxed a bit, and I rode my bike again.

It was a rare treat to get to ride into work with the sun actually up. It's been since sometime in July that I've ridden to work in daylight. It's been since at least June when I last took a lazy ride into work during later hours. It was nice to actually see some other people out and about.

This morning, it was interesting to contrast my ride in. It was a beautiful morning ride today. Dark, crisp, and the sky was clearing to reveal a full moon. Today, I had a renewed appreciation for the quietness and peacefulness of the city at 5:30am. It was a nice ride in.

Today on the way home, I was behind a passing storm cloud. The streets were wet, it smelled like rain, but I was dry. In front of me, I could see the dark clouds moving off to the east, and then a full bright rainbow.

Tonight, we sold our car and are now officially just a one car family. I guess that I am committed to this riding my bike gig!

No comments:

Blog Archive