Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Blah, Blah, Blah, Bikes, Blah, Blah, Bikes.

I took the "easy way out" last night and drove the car to take my 8 year old to dance practice. It was one of the rare moments when we "need" two cars.

My father in-law has been kind enough to loan us a 1991 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. It's a win-win deal for both of us. For him, it gives the car a dry rodent free area off of the farm to store a car that doesn't get driven. For us, it provides absolutely no incentive to drive and gives us a fallback option should we "need" it. This early 90's miracle of American motors pride showed up at our house on October 31st, 2007. It's been driven 116 miles since and used an amazing 17 gallons of gas! Yes, that's a whopping 6.8 miles to the gallon.

I thought about taking Alison on the back of the tandem. Dance doesn't start until 7:20 and finishes up after dark. I need to take a moment and make some changes to the set up on the tandem to improve its more-practical side: install rack and fenders.

Speaking of changes, our weather has taken a turn toward wonderful. Today was my second ride of the year in regular cycling shoes. I am a complete wimp when it comes to cold feet. Anything around the freezing mark and I prefer the warmth of my Lake Winter boots. If overnight low temperatures stay in the mid-30's I feel okay riding in my regular cycling shoes. The difference in the feel of the bike is wonderful.

I have noticed a LOT more bicycle commuters lately. Spring IS in the air. Two of my co-workers have taken to riding to and from work. I'm going to continue on my personal crusade to encourage more.

3 comments:

CoCargoRider said...

I know the feeling on the crowds. I am seeing more and more tri-type speed racers in their tucks especially in the PM.

Reflector Collector said...

Yeah, you have a commute on the prime Triathlon training stretch. I don't get it.

That's one thing I will actually miss about winter. Almost everyone I saw all winter would either wave or say hello.

yhtndfb - Word verification and frequent thought: You Hate To Not Drink Fine Beer. As if blogger can read my mind?

Anonymous said...

I miss the solitude already.

Being one of many is going to take some getting used to.

vutpbu

Vote Up The Parks Bicycle User!

Blog Archive