Monday, May 18, 2009

Time Flies

In 2007, I completed the TransIowa “race.”  I felt it at the time, but understand even more now how deeply this event affected me.  This year’s version has since elapsed, over two weeks by now.  I find it interesting how much interest I have in following the participation by others.

In the weeks before TransIowa, I think I felt myself being angry that there was no way I was going to be able to participate.  I know how many times in the last couple of years I’ve been hanging the carrot out there and using TI as a tool for motivation as well as a benchmark for suffering.

I had mailed my postcard way back in something like November in hopes of being accepted for participation this spring.  In hindsight, fate intervened and my postcard never arrived nor did my good friend Scott’s.  We decided to volunteer instead.

The opportunity to volunteer served very valuable personally.  Not only did paying it forward this year guarantee an entry next year, but it served as a much needed escape and an opportunity to see the event from the “other side.”  My initial excitement and desire to want to be there on the bike, toeing the line at the start was tempered by seeing the few surviving participants roll into the 3rd checkpoint in various states of mental and physical condition. I still do hope to be able to be there next year.

Spring is well upon us here in the frozen north.  This is one of the best times of year for riding. I’ve been trying to do my part, but have only been riding back and forth to work now and then.  I’m still trying to remain optimistic.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Ken-

This is exactly why I am volunteering next year. I had several friends that didn't get in this year and I just didn't understand why. It isn't like the TI course will fill up or anything! %^) I want my spot to be open for a new person to give it a shot and also to watch the race unfold. I would love to be at checkpoint three. You have NO IDEA how much it helped to see you and Skip Cronin at Checkpoint three. You guys were amazing.

Thank you so much for contributing to this incredible experience. I plan on returning the favor next year Ken!

Blog Archive