Thursday, February 14, 2008

Been There, Done That

How many times do you do the same thing before getting tired of it? I am the type of person that quickly tires of doing the same thing repeatedly. A bit of a “been there, done that” attitude. Might lead some to believe that I am less than satisfied with many things in life. Can be a mess mentally when combined with a personality trait where I tend to over-think and pick apart most everything looking for a way to do things differently.

Where I feel most fortunate is despite these strange personality quirks, I am fortunate to have found a few things that I feel so strongly about that I am convinced that I will likely never tire of them. Riding my bike and being with my wife. It sounds corny but the statement "I never get sick of you!" is one of the more enduring things said between us. It's true, I have never tired of hanging around my wife. Happy Valentines Day honey! ;)

But, in the bike and riding department, I was stuck in a bit of a rut. Concentrating too much on the destination, not paying attention to the little details of enjoyment. Thanks to a couple of comments yesterday and an attitude adjustment, things are looking much better. I left work on time yesterday and took the longer recreational route home. Lubed the chain this morning, put air in the tires. (Celebrate the small things.)

Snow overnight gives everything a bit of a winter white-wash, changed the landscape into something beautiful to look at again, and added an exciting element to riding. I treated myself this morning to a comfortable set of shorts. I shoveled before leaving and the act of shoveling was good because it seemed to warm me up so it felt good to be riding right from the get-go instead of having to wait the mile or so until I warmed up. It was a challenging but entertaining ride in to work.

It’s supposed to dip down to -10 tonight. It’ll likely be a chilly ride in tomorrow, but it is Friday and that’ll make it tolerable. The forecast calls for a short cold-snap then warming temperatures on the horizon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rock on, Brother...

Rock On!

-Me

Blog Archive